A couple of points about Burgundy wine boxes and crates:
- Burgundy wine crates are typically larger than most other wine making regions
- The AOC of Burgundy doesn't regulate bottle sizes like the Bordeaux AOC. This could be the reason why there's so few of them.
- You can tell a wooden wine box is from Burgundy when you see Domaine (90% of the time). It's from Bordeaux when it says Chateau (99% of the time).
- Most Burgundy wine producers display the winemaker's name on the box as opposed to the name of the vineyard like you'd find with Bordeaux. The second most important characteristic branded on a Burgundy crate is the region in which the winery is from, and lastly the single vineyard of where the grapes were planted. The region developed an ancient tradition long ago that is often copied by wine makers in other countries.
- The list below is probably 20% of all Burgundy vineyards that make wooden wine boxes & crates:
7. Domaine d'Eugenie
6. William Fevre
5. Patrick Javillier
Here's a Burgundy wooden wine box with a small yet fairly ornate design of the vineyard's chalice
4. Domaine Henri Boillot
A legendary Grand Cru producer who happens to be one of four Burgundy winemakers that I know of who produces a wooden wine crate that holds 12 bottles. Most Burgundies only make wooden wine boxes to hold 6 bottles. As you can imagine, this is a difficult crate to acquire.
3. Paul Jaboulet Aine
Nice wooden wine box with an ornate engraved picture of the winery's cote of arms. It's fancy, realistic and eye-catching rolled into one.
2. Olivier Leflave
My favorite Burgundy wooden wine box due to it's intricate red-colored picture of the vineyard. This crate is an exception to the Burgundy rule because of it's highly detailed design. The vineyard also produces a 12 bottle crate with a lid branding! It happens to be a completely different design than the one above, but it still red and still looks great.
1. Domaine Romanee Conti (DRC)
How can you make a list like this and not include the finest and most expensive wine on earth? Coming easily in at the #1 spot, this is the crown jewel of Burgundy. A nice front long-side design to boot!
Looking for a few Burgundy crates for yourself? Send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. We don't have a wide selection in stock at the moment, but a dozen or so come in every month so make sure to jump on them when they arrive.
Follow us for special updates!